Fantasy Football Question of the Day 8/8

Starting July 25 until August 26 my friends Uly Velez, Josh Bede, and I will ask each other one fantasy football related question a day and give our individual answers to it. Feel free to check out my other fantasy football related posts on my blog, including questions from previous days. And if you have a question you would like us to answer just leave a comment below.





What is your preferred draft strategy in snake drafts and auction drafts?

Charles:
I pretty much covered my auction draft strategy in the question from August 6th, so I'm just going to go over my snake draft strategy. I'm pretty flexible and fluid when I do snake drafts. There's not as much strategy and planning required going into it compared to auction drafts so it's a lot less stressful. I try to find a good balance of picking the best player available and getting the best value pick as well. So for instance, in a year where there may be only 1 elite fantasy TE (I'd argue that that's not the case this season) then I might draft him earlier than maybe a low end WR1 because I could still get really good WRs later on but it would be harder to get a good TE. I also try to pay attention to any runs on positions or any tendencies that the rest of the league might have. I'm not married to a certain strategy or philosophy besides just getting the best players I can. You fall into trouble when you try to target positions and reach for players just to make sure your "starters" are set. But the #1 rule when it comes to snake drafts is simple: DO NOT DRAFT A KICKER OR A DEFENSE UNTIL THE LAST 2 ROUNDS!! ESPECIALLY A KICKER!!!!!!!!!! And that's assuming your league still plays with those positions, which is a whole other topic that was touched on by Uly 2 days ago. So to sum up... best available or value, and no defenses or kickers until the last 2 rounds.

Josh:
I am a "best player available" drafter in any format but especially in the extra flex leagues I tend to play in. I don't care if I start with 4 WRs or 4 RBs as long as they were the best I could get because I trust my inseason management and my sleeper picks later in a draft to make up for the lesser positions. That all being said, this year for snake drafts in the late 3rd or early 4th I feel there's a drop in talent that's bigger than normal so this year I am actually taking a QB more often than normal.

Uly:
In both formats I tend to go for best player available (snake) and best value available (auction). I don't lock myself into thinking I need to draft a specific player or position. By locking yourself into a certain concept I feel like you handicap your team a bit. For example last year in my snake draft I loaded up on running backs because they all fell to me and I ended up being able to make in season trades to fill in spots I needed. In auction I have my guys separated into tiers and values and if I see a deal happening I'm not afraid to grab that player and adjust my budget. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jay Ajayi: Week 11 Film Breakdown

My annual, completely wrong, and irrelevant NFL predictions!

Rookie RB Outlook After Week 1