Fantasy Football Question of the Day 8/13

Starting July 25 until August 26 my friends Uly Velez, Josh Bede, and I will ask each other one fantasy football related question a day and give our individual answers to it. Feel free to check out my other fantasy football related posts on my blog, including questions from previous days. And if you have a question you would like us to answer just leave a comment below.



Assuming that the suspension stands at 6 games, what are the fantasy implications for Cowboys players as a result? What should Ezekiel Elliott and Darren McFadden's values be in auction and snake drafts now?



Josh:
If I was drafting today I think Zeke goes right after Isaiah Crowell so mid second round, and if I have Zeke then I'd be trying to grab McFadden in the 10th or so. In auction I really think it's fluid. There's definitely a strategy to getting Zeke. If you already have McCoy I'd be more willing to spend on Zeke and McFadden. If my money was spent on OBJ I am less likely to spend on anyone that's not a steal. As for other Cowboys I think this helps Dak Prescott and Cole Beasley fantasy wise the most. Teams stacked the box last year but Zeke and that O line still did work. However, I don't think that repeats. That means more passing downs and Dak is more comfortable throwing to Beasley and Witten than the outside to Dez. And just making it clear I think Dak's going to be a better fantasy QB, not a real life QB, without Zeke. I think the added volume plus the fact he's lost a big red zone threat is going to mean more fantasy production.

Uly:
With the 6 week suspension as it stands, unless you have good depth to wait those 6 weeks for Zeke I think his value plunges quite a bit. Drafting McFadden to go with him isn't something I'm a fan of because the Cowboys start off with 5 good run defenses in the first 6 weeks, and you wouldn't be getting Zeke back until week 8 so you're losing half the season on a player. Snake draft is the harder of the two types of drafts to get away with drafting Zeke. Auction for the right price and right draft strategy you could get away with sitting him for 7 weeks, but things need to also fall perfectly as well. As for Dak and Dez Bryant it will help their fantasy numbers more just because of the need to pass more as opposed to playing through Zeke. Dak may not look like a good real life QB at times, but for fantasy purposes he should still be good.

Charles:
I wouldn't be so sure that the suspension helps Dak, in both real life and fantasy. Last season the offense was run through Zeke and they didn't ask Dak to do too much in terms of the playbook. Going into this season the coaches obviously want to open it up more for him and that would have been an easier transition with Zeke still getting the focus of opposing defenses. But now with Zeke out and the O line losing 2 lineman in Doug Free and Ronald Leary it remains to be seen if Dak can not only expand his game but take on the offensive load while Zeke is out. He certainly will have plenty more opportunities to pass the ball, but I also think he'll be open to more turnovers as well. Putting my Eagles fanhood and Cowboys hate aside, Dak might have more of a chance at having success in terms of fantasy production than real life, but either way I don't think it's nearly a sure thing. I wouldn't be surprised if he struggles in both cases because of Zeke's suspension. And as for Zeke's value in drafts, I agree with Uly.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jay Ajayi: Week 11 Film Breakdown

My annual, completely wrong, and irrelevant NFL predictions!

Rookie RB Outlook After Week 1