Fantasy Football Question of the Day 8/16

Starting July 25 until August 26 my friends Uly Velez, Josh Bede, and I will ask each other one fantasy football related question a day and give our individual answers to it. Feel free to check out my other fantasy football related posts on my blog, including questions from previous days. And if you have a question you would like us to answer just leave a comment below.



Today's question was submitted by my friend Rob Cellasio. Does team allegiance have any effect on who you draft, don't draft, or just in the way you construct your team in any capacity?

Uly:
I am a Giants fan but when it comes to fantasy football I try to construct the best team possible. If you're a Cowboy, Eagle, or Redskin I don't care. The end goal in fantasy is to win it all and if any player from any team can help propel me into winning money, that's what I'm looking at. The one year Demarco Murray did great on the cowboys I had him in a league. I'm not going to pass up a top talent because my team is rivals with them, that's just not a good business decision. And I also don't necessarily need to draft any Giants, for a bit they only had Cruz and sometimes Eli as the only fantasy viable players. If I didn't get them for the value I thought they should be I just went without them. 

Charles:
Yesterday I talked about how I refuse to have any division rivals on my teams because that's part of what makes playing fantasy football fun for me. Well when it comes to being a very passionate and invested Eagles fan, it does get a bit tricky. I'm certainly not one of those fans that believe almost every player on my team is good. I do my best to be as realistic as possible and there are players on the Eagles I'm not high on each year (I'm not particularly high on LeGarette Blount this season). At the same time, because I pay so much attention to the team I automatically know the "lesser" players that could be potential sleepers, which does help. However, I will admit that there are times when I really fall in love with an Eagles player and overvalue them. It's not the case with every player I like though. I've said on here before that I think Alshon Jeffery will have a great year but I'm not going to bid high on him or take him early. But in the past I've taken earlier or spent more on Brian Westbrook, LeSean McCoy, Jeremy Maclin, and even Darren Sproles. I personally didn't mind overvaluing these guys a little because they're guys I really want and I enjoy being able to have the luxury of rooting for them for both fantasy and real life purposes. What I do need to be careful with though is making sure I don't go overboard. There still needs to be a max amount I set on what I'm willing to bid on them for in my auction drafts. If I don't, that's when I would get myself in real trouble.

I also wanted to point out that even though I have a very different view on this topic than Uly, I don't believe either is wrong or right. I've seen that most people share his belief, but there are others that practice what I do. It's just a matter of how you choose to play and enjoy fantasy football. If you're like him and are willing to take any player you can to win even if you hate the team they play for, then that's perfectly fine. If you're more like me and can't get yourself to root for a hated rival in any capacity, then that's perfectly fine too. You could even try one way and then start to change your mind the other way. But no matter what, manage your team the way you want and don't let others make you believe it's wrong.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jay Ajayi: Week 11 Film Breakdown

My annual, completely wrong, and irrelevant NFL predictions!

Rookie RB Outlook After Week 1