Fantasy Football Question of the Day 8/6

Starting July 25 until August 26 my friends Uly Velez, Josh Bede, and I will ask each other one fantasy football related question a day and give our individual answers to it. Feel free to check out my other fantasy football related posts on my blog, including questions from previous days. And if you have a question you would like us to answer just leave a comment below.



Going into an auction draft how do you construct your budget and how flexible is it?

Charles:
I pick out any players that I want to specifically target, separate them by position, and set a max amount for them that I cannot go over (I use the Draft Dominator app and FantasyPros.com as a base for player values). I take into account that some players might go over my set budget so I make sure to have a good amount of players listed. So for example, my draft board might consist of 8 RBs and 7 WRs. Then I set another budget but this time for each position. The amounts I set have to equal up to the $200 max budget. In order to get an idea of what my positional budgets should be I calculate how much 4-6 players at each position would cost. These positional budgets are more flexible than the player budgets though, but I need to make sure that if I go over a set amount for a position that I also deduct from another to avoid going over my draft budget. This strategy let's me have options while still having a good plan in place of who I want.

Josh:
How I do it is after breaking down players into tiers I usually come up with 3 different budgets and depending on how the first few picks of the auction go that's what I base it off of. It's very flexible to me but I mostly make it toward the extreme end on RB1 and WR1 so I don't go over budget on them. The reason I like tiers is because I think every player has a price I'd like to own them at. For example, the last two seasons in your (Charles) league I had close to the same budget strategy, but last year my high end tier ones went higher than I liked so I went with my spread out budget. Two years ago I got the stud so I went with that.

Uly:
I do the tier strategy that Josh does, but my drafts for the most part use an even type budget where I don't have that tier 1 guy but I have a lot of tier 2-4 guys filling my roster. Usually I can always trade for a stud in season because I have a surplus of depth. But I do place a max value on a position and I will have budgets for just about every scenario. If I do see a stud going for cheaper than I set his value at before the draft, I'll adjust the price of my flex/bench players to accommodate that player on my team. I have a couple laid out ahead of time for those accommodations so that it's an easy transition for me to continue drafting and looking for deals as opposed to trying to reconfigure my budget composition per position.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jay Ajayi: Week 11 Film Breakdown

My annual, completely wrong, and irrelevant NFL predictions!

Rookie RB Outlook After Week 1