Fantasy Football Question of the Day 8/19

Starting July 25 until August 26 my friends Uly Velez, Josh Bede, and I will ask each other one fantasy football related question a day and give our individual answers to it. Feel free to check out my other fantasy football related posts on my blog, including questions from previous days. And if you have a question you would like us to answer just leave a comment below.



What are your thoughts on drafting a "backup" or second QB on your teams for leagues where you only start one? What are instances where you should get one, and what are instances where you shouldn't?

Charles:
I used to be someone that would always draft a second QB to be a backup on my roster because I wanted insurance in case my starter got hurt or started playing horribly. And in deep leagues that have 14 or more teams you could make an argument for doing so still, depending on how the roster construction is set up and how the draft starts to unfold. However, for leagues that have 12 or less teams the QB pool in free agency is almost always going to have adequate QBs you could pick up for bye weeks or for streaming purposes. There's really no need to draft a second QB late in the draft or for cheap when you could be using those picks on a RB or WR sleeper that's available.

Uly:
I don't typically draft a second QB. I try to draft a decent one that can carry me until I make a trade for a better one, and when I make that trade I try to make it coincide with a QB who already had their bye week or where what's available in free agency can cover me for the week. The only time I would draft two is if there was a suspension or injury to one before the draft, such as with Tom Brady last year. 

Josh:
I rarely take a backup QB, but since I wait on QBs sometimes I will draft a second QB in really large leagues where I am taking a chance on a rookie or an injured player. The only other exception is no trade leagues but in those I will most likely take a QB a bit earlier and not give myself the headache. I feel that there are plenty of fantasy capable QBs that there should be someone on the waiver wire or one that I can trade for.
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jay Ajayi: Week 11 Film Breakdown

My annual, completely wrong, and irrelevant NFL predictions!

Rookie RB Outlook After Week 1