Fantasy Football Question of the Day 8/1

Starting July 25 until August 26 my friends Uly Velez, Josh Bede, and I will ask each other one fantasy football related question a day and give our individual answers to it. Feel free to check out my other fantasy football related posts on my blog, including questions from previous days. And if you have a question you would like us to answer just leave a comment below.



Out of all the RBs who are a part of a committee or who are currently backups, which one has the best chance to earn a featured back role for their respective team by season's end? 

Charles:
There are a few names I was thinking of. Either Jamaal Williams or Aaron Jones were guys we talked about in a previous question. You could make the argument for Samaje Perine, although his lack of receiving skills pretty much cements Chris Thompson's role. Another name to consider is Duke Johnson, but the only question with him is if he could handle a full time workload. And of course I can't forget my guy Kareem Hunt. But to avoid redundancy since I already talked about Hunt a few days ago, the guy I'm going to select is Dalvin Cook. Cook's skillset has obviously been well documented despite him falling to the 2nd round of the draft. The guy can do everything, he's just got to fix his fumbling issues and show he's matured enough to stay out of trouble. The only guy in his way is Latavius Murray whom the Vikings signed this offseason to be their featured back, or at least the early down back with McKinnon getting passing down reps. But I don't think the Vikings had foreseen a talent like Cook falling into their laps at the draft and that's why they had signed Murray. I think at some point this season Cook's superior skills will eventually win out and he'll be getting the majority of touches in that offense. The money they paid Murray is definitely hard to overlook so that might play a big factor in him sustaining at least a 50/50 split with Cook. But I see Cook as just that much better of a RB than Murray, so I'm betting on Cook.

Josh:
I'll go with the other rookie RB Joe Mixon. As we already know, he's a 1st round talent that only fell to the 2nd because of off the field issues. But if the Bengals were willing to take the kind of heat for selecting Mixon then you know they are going to let him have a ton of touches. He does have some competition for rushes with Jeremy Hill but he's much better than Hill as a runner. Gio Bernard might still get passing down work but he is coming off a major knee injury even though he has recovered faster than anyone I can remember. But while we are on the subject, I do think this happens every fantasy year. We hope and pray that someone will come out of a RB timeshare as the main guy but it rarely happens. I think it's more likely that one or two guys lose touches to a time share we really don't see coming and for that scenario I am going with Demarco Murray and Isaiah Crowell.

Uly:
I was going to pick Cook but Charles already did so I'm going with my second choice. I think Kareem Hunt will end up being the featured back for the Chiefs.  He has the build to be able to handle the full time load. In college he had 4945 yards with 6.3 ypc and 44 touchdowns.  He has also shown he could catch the ball with 41 receptions his senior year, and he impressed during OTAs.  His ability to catch the ball will initially get him out on the field and then his running ability should keep him out there with Ware and West reserved to backup roles. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jay Ajayi: Week 11 Film Breakdown

My annual, completely wrong, and irrelevant NFL predictions!

Rookie RB Outlook After Week 1