Fantasy Football Question of the Day 7/28

Starting July 25 until August 26 my friends Uly Velez, Josh Bede, and I will ask each other one fantasy football related question a day and give our individual answers to it. Feel free to check out my other fantasy football related posts on my blog, including questions from previous days.



Which player has you the most up in the air, as in which can't you decide is going to be great / above his ADP or a bust? And why are you unsure? 

Charles:
It would definitely be Todd Gurley for me. His rookie season he displayed elite level talent despite cooling off a bit in the latter part of the year. But last season he was just plain bad. Sure, the Rams offense as a whole was horrendous and that certainly played a part, but Gurley's struggles weren't just his teammates' fault. His vision wasn't the same. He was constantly missing running lanes and became too hesitant to hit the hole when it developed. With a new coach and Jared Goff the expected starting QB who knows if that offense will be better or worse than before, and who knows if Gurley will be the runner he was his rookie season again. When I look at the projected top 100 players, he's got the biggest variance in outcome. He could turn out to be an RB1 or barely a Flex option. Neither would surprise me.

Josh:
Mine is Ty Montgomery. I am utterly torn on whether he is going to be an RB1 or lose his job by week 6. The Packers say he's their guy but as we know from years back they don't always speak gospel. His play was good last year but want to guess how many games he got double digit carries... one, vs the Bears. On the other side he does catch the ball a ton and is on a high powered offense that added a good blocking tight end in Bennett. On the other other side the Packers drafted 3 RBs and in a day and age were RBs life spans are shorter and shorter teams tend to get RBs on the field faster. Why draft 3 if you trust your guy? As I said before though I love the Packers RB position. They average 360-380 points as a unit every year. I still want Montgomery but I am definitely handcuffing and might end up getting a lot of shares in those rookies this year.

Uly:
Well I am actually on the Montgomery train as well. He did bulk up his upper body with muscle for this year and he is being sold as the number 1 RB. I'm not worried about the running backs they drafted. They didn't have any on the roster and needed depth, thus they waited until the later rounds to grab some. My main concern is whether or not his body can hold up to the pounding of a 16+ week season.  I see 200 touches being a good number for him to remain healthy and do damage.  Last year he barely got double digit carries but when he did he torched the defense.  He is more of a chess piece that you can motion out to get favorable matchups and with Aaron Rodgers back there he should see a lot of light fronts like he did last year. What I'm most up in the air about is how committed to the run game they will be and if they look to get Ty the ball to excel in what he is good at, or if they will be trying to run him strictly between the tackles which I think he will not last long, and in that case then a rookie will have to come in. Pass protection is another concern for Ty staying on the field. If he improved from last year he will very much flirt with 200-250 touches.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jay Ajayi: Week 11 Film Breakdown

My annual, completely wrong, and irrelevant NFL predictions!

Rookie RB Outlook After Week 1